Important to know about zolmitriptan
Zolmitriptan works on the blood vessels and nerves in the brain.
- It stops or reduces an attack of migraine or cluster headache.
- The tablet works after 1 hour. Use Zolmitriptan with the first headache symptoms of a migraine attack.
- Will the attack return within 24 hours? Then you can take a second dose, but not earlier than 2 hours after the first one.
- You may experience hot flashes or a painful, oppressive or tingling sensation in your chest or throat. This will disappear automatically within 2 hours. Does it last? Then consult your doctor.
- Zolmitriptan can make you sleepy or dizzy. Therefore, you should not drive for 4 hours after ingestion.
- Do not use Zolmitriptan more than 10 days a month. You are at risk of extra headaches if you use it too often (medicine-dependent headache).
- Do you have migraine more than twice a month? Talk to your doctor about your eligibility for medication to prevent the attacks.
What does Zolmitriptan do?
Zolmitriptan belongs to the group of triptan anti-migrain agents. It constricts the blood vessels in the brain that are dilated by migraine. It also inhibits the release of substances that can cause inflammation and ensures that a ‘pain message’ through the nerves does not reach the brain or arrives less strongly.
Doctors prescribe Zolmitriptan it for migraine.
What are the possible side effects zolmitriptan?
In addition to the desired effect, this drug can also cause side effects.
The most important side effects are the following.
Rarely (in 1 to 10 out of 100 people)
- Tingly, oppressive and oppressive feeling in different parts of your body, such as chest, throat and neck. These symptoms usually pass within two hours. If you continue to suffer or are worried, consult your doctor.
- Further symptoms may include hot flashes, sensation of heat, flushing, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness and nausea or vomiting. These side-effects will disappear by themselves.
- Muscle pain, muscle weakness or stiff neck.
Very rare (in less than 1 in 100 people)
- People with elevated blood pressure may be particularly sensitive to the vasoconstrictive effect of this drug. Consult your doctor.
- Accelerated or delayed heart rate and palpitations.
- Breast pain during exercise. In people with heart cramp (angina pectoris), this medicine can provoke an attack. Wherefore your doctor if you suffer from this.
- Heart conditions, such as a higher risk of a heart attack. This is more likely in people who have had a heart attack before. Inform your doctor if you suddenly experience chest pain.
- Hypersensitivity to this medicine. This can be expressed in hives. In severe cases it manifests itself in an ‘angioedema’: a swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat. You can become very oppressive. If it occurs, you should immediately seek a doctor or go to the First Aid Service. You should not use this type of medication in the future. Therefore, inform the pharmacy that you are hypersensitive to molar triptan. The pharmacy team can then make sure that you do not get this medicine or similar medicines again.
- Cold fingers and toes due to reduced blood flow to the skin. People who suffer from Raynaud’s disease may be particularly affected by this medicine. Contact your doctor if this side effect is too serious.
In people who use zolmitriptan too often
- Headache. Some people take against this again zolmitriptan, which causes this headache again. This can create a vicious circle in which you need to use zolmitriptan again and again. If you have a migraine attack more than twice a month, consult your doctor or a treatment to prevent attacks may be better for you.
Consult your doctor if you suffer too much from any of the above side effects or if you experience any of the other side effects you are worried about.
How do i use Zolmitriptan
- Take ordinary tablets without chewing with half a glass of water.
- Melting tablets: remove the foil from the back of the strip and remove the tablet from the compartment. Do not push the tablet through the foil from the strip packaging, as this may cause the tablet to break. Let the tablet melt on the tongue and then swallow.
Use this medicine as soon as you experience the first headache symptoms of migraine. Zolmitriptan can also be used if the attack has been going on for several hours. Zolmitriptan has no effect on the aura symptoms.
- Will the first dose help, but will the attack return within 24 hours? You can then take a second dose. Make sure you do not take the dose too quickly. The interval between the first and second dose should be at least 2 hours. Do not use more than 10 mg per 24 hours.
- If the first dose does not help, there is no point in taking a second dose. Talk to your doctor about another migraine agent.
You only use this medicine to reduce the symptoms during a migraine attack. Once the attack is over, you won’t need it anymore until the next attack occurs.
What should I do if I forget a dose of Zolmitriptan?
If you still need the medicine, use the dose. Take into account the minimum interval between two doses and the number of doses you can use per 24 hours.
Can I drive a car with Zolmitriptan, drink alcohol and eat or drink anything?
Driving a car?
It can be dangerous to take part in traffic if you use this medicine. This is due to side effects, such as dizziness and drowsiness.
Do not drink alcohol if you have just had a migraine attack. Alcohol can trigger a new attack.
If you have had a migraine attack after drinking alcohol, you can use zolmitriptan.
You can eat anything.
Can I use Zolmitriptan with other medicines?
The drugs with which the most important interactions occur are other drugs against migraine and certain drugs against depression.
- Other medicines against migraine are ergotamine and methysergide. If you use these drugs together with Zolmitriptan, you are more likely to have side effects, because they too, like Zolmitriptan, constrict blood vessels.
- Have you used ergotamine or methysergide and now want to use zolmitriptan? Wait at least 24 hours after using the product before using Zolmitriptan.
- Did you use Zolmitriptan and do you want to use ergotamine or methysergide now? Wait at least 6 hours after using Zolmitriptan before using any of these products.
- If you use Zolmitriptan simultaneously with products containing hypericum or St. John’s wort, you are more likely to have the side effects of Zolmitriptan.
Can I stop taking this medicine just like that?
You can stop using this medicine at any time at once.